Top 3 Reasons to Learn a Foreign Language from a Native Speaker

I lived in Seoul, Korea for 16 months in my early 20's.  I was immersed in the culture, lived with other Koreans, worked and served with them day and night.  I love Korea and I love Koreans.  Loyal, kind and smart.  Also fun, very fun people!  In fact, I lived above a bar for a few months and heard the fun of the 노래방, Korean style karaoke, late into the night. 

As I walked and talked with Koreans for many months, I realized something.  The best way to truly learn a foreign language is from people who are actually from that place with the language you're trying to learn.  Now don't get me wrong, learning from other non-native speakers still has it's place and is still good practice.  But have you ever looked at some (not all) of the English workbooks created by non-English speakers?  I've tutored plenty of Koreans and Chinese in the English language and some of the things they learned in class were straight from the 70's or things we would never actually say.  I always told my students that when they used these terms, Americans would understand their meaning most of the time, but it's just something we wouldn't say.  Take the work 'voyage'. Some of my ESL students have learned the word 'voyage' to mean any type of trip.  How many times do you hear people talk about going on a 'voyage'?  "Do have a safe voyage, my love".  "Tomorrow hence, I will take my voyage to the South of France".  You get the idea.  

I am in no way trying to dis educators who are teaching a language not of their own in schools or other places! You'll just have a better chance of learning to speak correct pronunciation as well as every day commonly used words and phrases if you also learn from a native.  

Here are my top 3 reasons to learn a language (at least in part) from Native speakers:

 1 - Native speakers will be familiar with language as it's spoken now. 

Language evolves, what was spoken 20 years ago may be completely different now.  See example above with the word 'voyage'.  

2 - Native speakers will be able to hear the pronunciation errors (big and small) made by learners. 

It can be truly difficult for non-native speakers to catch subtle pronunciation errors easily made by other non-native speakers.  ( i.e. Koreans and Chinese tend to add extra syllables to words like 'is' and 'and' but may not hear the difference).  I remember being told by Koreans that one of my Korean missionary companions in Korea had a really thick southern accent which I could absolutely not detect.  

3 - Native speakers can tell you if they understand your attempts to speak their language. 

You can identify if what you're saying is intelligible by a native speaking teacher.  Then when you are actually in a situation where you need to be understood in a foreign country - you'll have some confidence they'll understand your questions or replies.  

Convinced to find a native to speak to or learn from? Great!  If you have experiences learning from a native verses a non-native please do share.  

열씸히 해 !


Sarah



POST Notes:

1- Translation:  노래방 (norae bang), Korean style karaoke

2 - Translation: 열씸히 해 ! (yul shim hi hay) is an expression that means 'work hard, be diligent'.  It's in lower form and basically something you could tell your friends as a form of 'goodbye'.  














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where do I start? What I did to start teaching my kids Korean.

Why are you teaching me Korean?!